Victor Reader Stream
Chosen by Tens of Thousands Worldwide.
The Experience Speaks for Itself
What makes the Victor Reader Stream so popular and unique among portable DAISY MP3 players?
- Stream is the most powerful and stable DAISY player in the industry. Based on 12 years of proven Victor Reader DAISY playback technology from HumanWare.
- Unique Book centric interface design. The Stream is not simply a media player that is DAISY aware. Rather all content on the Stream is treated as a book whether it is a DAISY book, commercial audio book, Audible.com book, computer document, podcast, music collection, or the user's recorded voice notes. This gives a consistent way for the user to navigate and manage all content.
- Navigation is easy through the simple 4 arrow paradigm integrated on its telephone style number pad. Keys 2 and 8 are used as up/down arrows that choose the level of navigation such as book, chapter, section, page, paragraph, sentence, word etc. Keys 4 and 6 are used as left/right arrows to move at the chosen navigation level. Key 5 is the Where Am I key. Just press it and Stream announces your current reading position. The number pad also allows direct navigation of heading numbers, page numbers, or for books with no structure you can jump to a specified time or percentage from the beginning of the book. Stream is the only player that uniquely maps sequential and direct navigation on a simple number pad.
- All books are accessed through simple easy to navigate bookshelves. Just press key 1 to move through the list of bookshelves and keys 4 and 6 to navigate the titles on each bookshelf.
- The unique book interface lets the user decide how to listen to content not the player. For example, should the user place audio files on the podcast bookshelf where each file is a book or should they be saved as a collection of files defining a single book? After all, it is the user not the player that knows best how they want to read the content.
- Bookmarking. The Stream has the most powerful bookmarking features on the market. Simple bookmarks for all types of books, highlight bookmarks to mark passages of text and audio bookmarks to make your own voice annotation just like writing in the margin of a print book. And when playing back the Stream is the only player that will alert you when it passes over previously marked passages and automatically voice any annotations you made.
- Text Search. The Stream offers the most robust search features for finding electronic text in books and documents. Just type the word or words to find like you would type a text message on a mobile phone. Or, find the next or previous occurrence of the word you are currently positioned at.
- The Stream keypad is recognized as offering the best combination of key size, key shape, spacing, and color contrast.
- Stream users comment the Stream's variable speed playback is the best on the market allowing speed to be reduced or increased to 3 times normal with auto pitch correction.
- Audio tone control. This is very important when listening to recorded books especially for those who may have trouble hearing certain frequencies such as male versus female narrators.
- Sleep timer. The Stream is the only player with a dedicated Sleep key to quickly activate an auto shut off timer with a single key press.
- The Stream provides the widest choice of navigation among portable players. Choose to navigate structured DAISY books by chapter, section or page. You can directly enter page numbers from a table of contents. For non structured audio files you can navigate by entering a time to jump to or a percentage from the start of the book even if the book contains multiple files. For computer text you can move by percentage, screen, paragraph, sentence, line, word, or character. There is even a spell mode where Stream will spell each word as you move between them. For HTML documents you can navigate by the headings. For music you can navigate the folders and files or go directly to a numbered folder or file. The Stream's built-in text-to-speech voice announces the names of all folders and files.
- However, not all people are used to computer text-to-speech voices. For those who may listen to only recorded audio they will appreciate that the Stream is the only player that uses pre-recorded human speech for its built-in messages and prompts offering the maximum in clarity and comfort.
- What if you don't require sophisticated navigation? The Stream is the only player with dedicated keys for Fast Forward and Rewind. This is useful for those who may be transitioning from cassette players to their first digital player or for those who have simple reading needs and do not need the advanced navigation features. The longer you hold down the keys the faster the Stream moves through the reading material. While moving it plays periodic 3 second clips of audio to help you find your place. Or, just tap the Fast Forward or Rewind key to jump forward or backward 5 seconds - a quick way to repeat the last few words or skim read.
- In the United States, the Stream is the most flexible way to read the popular NLS (National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) navigable digital audio books. These books are offered as downloads or on special book cartridges. The Stream can play either.
- The Stream connects to the computer as a mass storage device allowing you to simply copy and paste or drag and drop books and files from your computer directly to the bookshelf folders of its SD memory card. However, Stream is the only player that also offers free Companion software to help users transfer content to the player if they are not familiar with Windows file management.
- The Stream internal computer uses Linux operating software known for its reliability and performance. Other portable players are based on Windows which is not as stable and. requires standby power when the player is shut off. The Stream does not require standby power and will maintain its battery charge when powered off.